Seeking 2018 Program Director
For the summer 2018 season, GUP is seeking a Program Director with outdoor education, leadership, and managerial skills combined with an entrepreneurial spirit to assist us in growing GUP’s reach and accomplishing our mission to introduce youth to adventure-based, outdoor activities.
- Create written advertising and promotional materials for the organization and its activities;
- Expand our web and social media presence;
- Manage our Boathouse on the Red, which rents canoes, kayaks and SUPs to the public on weekends Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day; includes supervision of 4-6 staff;
- Develop youth paddling clinics/events, teaching paddle technique and river safety;
- Plan and direct our 4-day Summer Adventure Camp for 10-15 youth, at a local state park; includes supervision of 2 counselors;
- Plan and direct our Family Adventure Race, a 3 hour multi-sport race in the local Greenway; and
- Strageize with the GUP Board for new ways to fulfill our mission and expand our outreach.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Preferred:
- Three years of Outdoor Education program coursework, especially Outdoor Leadership and Teaching Outdoor Skills
- Significant flatwater paddling experience (canoeing and/or kayaking)
- Orienteering knowledge and experience
- Ability to work with and educate youth about outdoor skills and natural phenomenon
- Ability to serve as a role model for outdoor endeavors
- Strong organizational and managerial skills
- Strong customer service skills
For Outdoor Education students needing to fulfill Intern/Extern requirements, and/or looking to fill out resume experience, this is a great way to put recreational programming knowledge to good use, as well as build and enhance aspects of teaching outdoor skills as outdoor educators.
This is a part-time position with flexibility. Apply by sending your resume and a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.