"Having inspirational people around me during the camp motivated me to do my best."
-- Erin Peck after the 2012 Adventure Racing Camp
*Past Race results and photos are at the bottom of the page!*
The Extreme North Dakota Family Adventure Races (END-FAR) are a partnership between ENDracing and Ground UP, designed to bring the experience of ENDracing's fabulous races to a younger group. We put on two family friendly events, one in the spring and one in the fall. Dates are determined each fall and announced early the new year.
So what should you expect? Racers will be treated to an 'adventure racing' style course where they need to find their way (navigate) to a number of checkpoints using map and compass. Maps will be provided at the beginning of the race. Racers will be allowed to use bikes to reach the checkpoints, but should be aware that many of them will require getting off the bikes and walking in order to locate them (ie they may be in a section of woods, etc). There will be somewhere between 10 and 20 checkpoints on the course and teams will attempt to get as many as possible in around 2 hours. Racers should plan on the possibility of getting a little muddy and possibly a little wet. For an idea of what to wear and bring to the race, click HERE. Ground UP adventures has loaner compasses available on request. Still not sure? Check out the video below of the latest event (Winnipeg, May 2014) and see what you're sure not to want to miss!
END-FAR Grand Forks--Saturday, September 27th, 2014
Location: O'Leary Park, East Grand Forks, MN.
Time: 1:00-3:30 pm.
There are two categories available for each event (see who is signed up):
- "Family Team" (comprising of at least one adult and any number of kids)
- "Youth Team" (consisting of 2-4 youth aged 10-16)
- Each race will be capped at 100 total racers.
- Online registration cost is $15 per youth racer. Adults on family teams are free, as are racers 5 and under (after the first one!). If your team is comprised only of adults and kids under six, you will still need to select 'one' in the 'racers 6-16' menu in order to check out. .
- Race Day registration will be available (starting an hour before the race) at the race site, assuming spots are still available. Our last race was full two three weeks before it happened, so to make sure you get in on the fun, register early!
NOTE: An Adventure Race is NOT a relay race! Teams are required to stay together (within 100 feet) the entire race. The sport teaches good communication, team-work, navigation, and of course promotes getting outside and discovering a great appreciation for this wonderful thing called nature.
Can't get enough? Want more practice navigating? Check out Ground UP adventures semi-permanent Orienteering Course and expand your exploration of the wonderful Greater Grand Forks Greenway!
If your kids want more navigation, more outside, more skills, and more work (adventure racing ain't easy!), they might enjoy the Youth Summer Adventure Racing Camp.
2014 FAR East Grand Forks - Photos
2014: FAR Winnipeg - Results, Video, Photos (Larissa's, Wes's)
2013: FAR2 (fall) - WDAZ (news coverage), results, photos
2013: FAR1 (spring) - photos, results
2012: Photos, Video